Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The End of the Afternoon Nap

Bedtime has been H A R D lately. Nap time has been even H A R D E R. And, sometimes on the weekends, nap time is just completely non-existent. I used to live in fear of the day when she would no longer nap. But, alas, I think that time is finally here. And, I'm ok with it. It was bound to happen. As much as I'd like too, I can't keep her a baby forever. She is growing up on me.
These photos are actually from the last nap she took for us at home. Funny, how in last last almost 4 years I documented very little of her sleeping. Maybe that is because most of the time when she napped, we napped. But, there was something sweet and serene about watching her actually fall asleep. The way that her eyelids fluttered. And, then finally the peacefulness that surrounded her as her eyelashes came to rest gently on her cheeks.
Its hard not to look at these and wonder what was going on in her little mind. Is she dreaming? What is she dreaming? What are the pictures of her dreams showing her? Especially when she's awake it is as if her mind that always seems to be spinning and ticking. Much like the gears of a clock. *tick tock tick tock* And, some evenings, after dinner, as we build towers and castle and are chatting, I watch her click things together in her mind and it just blows me away.
And, so I look at these photos an smile. I try not to mourn the loss of nap-time. Instead, I drink in these moments from my over flowing cup of life. I cherish these these quiet moments that seem fewer amongst the busier more noisier ones. I bask in the gentle warmth Madaline radiates when she sleeps. I allow it to warms my heart and sooth my soul. It helps ease the dreaded guilt of being a working mom. And, with a the quiet nod of my head, for this brief moment, I feel as if all is right in my world.

5 comments:

Erin said...

We lost nap time too. :(
Sad to see it go, but gaining more time to spend together!

mle said...

Love watching sleeping angels! : )

Connie said...

We had naps last week because the kids were sick and I realized how much I miss them....

Kim ~ One Nutty Mama said...

Lucky you for keeping naptime that long my kids usually gave it up around 18 months. Only time we get a nap around this house is when sickness strikes.

Kameron said...

I always marvel at kids that sleep anywhere other than their beds. Nate never has. I wonder if baby girl will. I will cry real tears when Nate gives up the nap but I've decided he will have an hour of quiet time in his room when he is all done. I'm not convinced he can even BE quiet for an hour, but it is worth a try! ;o)