Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stacking Dreams

*squee* Mommy - Aunt Olly home! *squee* Aunt Olly home!

"No sweetie....her cars is here,but she's not home. Aunt Olly is away at College"

"Mommy......Aunt Olly at College?" (only it sounds more like Cow-ledge)

Yep. She's at 'cow-ledge'.
That night after the last of our dirty dinner dishes had been tucked into the dishwasher, we snapped photos. Photo's that I promised Madaline I would print. Photos we would send to Aunt Olly who is away at 'Cow-Ledge'.

We giggled. *click* Madaline built towers with blocks. *click*
We laughed. *click* Morris and Murphy tried to escape from the Mayhem. *click*
We made silly faces *click*
Much later, surrounded by the quiet peacefulness that only appears once Madaline is in bed I anxiously grabbed the camera to see what what we had captured. I fretted that the memory card would be filled with dark, useless, blurry shots. For once I hadn't worried about staging the perfect shot. I just had the camera in my hand and clicked away at different points of the evening. And, what I found surprised me. There, embedded in a memory card, was the essence of my evening. The time of day that makes me feel more than a mom than any other time of day. It is just her and I. Heather and Madaline, a mom and her daughter.As I scrolled through the photos I realized that these could have been taken on any given week night. I see the tiredness of my work day tugging at the corners of my eyes. The mischievous twinkle in my daughter's eye as she recounts a days worth of stories - some coming so quickly that I can hardly keep up. Scattered toys that kept Madaline entertained as I hurriedly made dinner. The leaning block towers knocked down as Madaline reached for Murphy as he scampered across the living room floor.
Memories.
Memories of yesterday.
The memory of today
and
a memory for tomorrow.
Memories that we create one stacked block at a time. Each of those stacked blocks holding within it our dreams. Dreams we are living in this little house. Each day we're adding to the blueprint for our lives and hoping all the pieces come together. For it is inside this little green house, we have built a foundation of love. Our walls are held together with support and understanding. Each day we do our best to patch any holes or cracks with smiles, hugs and kisses. Each room is painted with patience and understanding. Occasionally, we have to sweep away tears and disappointment. Our walls are decorated with the memories of the times we spend together. Memories that will hopefully out live our own lifetime.
One block at a time - we are building and stacking our dreams into memories. This is LIFE. My LIFE. 5 nights a week. Just me, with Madaline, Morris and Murphy. Building memories.

Find more wordFUL and wordLESS Wednesday posts at:

6 comments:

Molly Louise said...

I SWEAR there are days your purpose is to make me tear up.

I miss you, that little green house, that small child, and those two fluffballs we occasionally call cats.

And yes, this cow-ledge room needs pictures of a little girl and her mom to make it more of a home.

thenameisbeth said...

Beautifully written post.

You've made my miss home.

Tomorrow, tomorrow.

Kameron said...

That is so sweet. With times like that spent together, I hope you realize that these are the times she will remember. Not the crappy bedtime struggles or Target escapades, these times. The happy times spent with mommy.

Nicki said...

This is an amazing post. The every day is beautiful. We just need to recognize it.

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

How beautiful!! I love capturing these moments - these everyday real life moments. I am sure Aunt Olly will be thrilled when she receives these pictures!!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

Oh and how is it that I completely missed that you have giants for cats!! Holy....!!!! They are HUGE!!