Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Apples, Cider and Doughnuts, OH MY!

How can one usher in fall without a trip to a Cider Mill? One really can not. One of my favorite memories as a child is when my Dad and I used to take apples up to the local Mill to be pressed into cider for the annual neighborhood Halloween party. Well, long gone is the local Cider Mill as well as the annual neighborhood Halloween party. So, after doing a little google-ling I found this place: "THE CIDER MILL". One of my co-workers commutes from that area each day and so I inquired if he had ever been there. He spoke very highly of that place and so it was settled. Sunday we would make the almost 90 minute drive.It really was fun. Madaline thought it was neat how they ground the apples into a pulp and then squeezed the juice from the pulp, to get the cider. And, the doughnuts. Oh my good Heaven, the doughnuts. You really can not have cider and not have a doughnut. They make what I call old Fashion/Old School doughnuts at the cider mill. They are melt in your mouth, oh my gosh, I'm going to gain 5lbs with eat bite I take kind of doughnut. Now, don't get me wrong - I've had good doughnuts before. There is a local bakery that makes a killer Long John and even the occasional Krispy Creme or Dunkin Donut is not to bad. But, these - these homemade doughnuts at The Cider Mill - just the smell of them put every other doughnut ever made to shame.
*silly face for Daddy - since he couldn't join us because he had to work*
And, of course, there were bins full of apples, beautiful pots of mum and rows, upon rows of pumpkins. And, as you can see, Madaline was even kind enough for a few photo ops. As long as I made sure to get her picture while she was sitting on a pumpkin. It was a great way to spend the day. And, yes, the powdered sugar mess later that evening all over the carpet in the living room was well worth it!

Looking for more WordFUL Wednesday or WordLESS Wednesday Post? Check out:

*In case you are wondering. I was not paid or asked or given anything to write about The Cider Mill. I am simply telling you about the great time I had this past Sunday with my daughter. Nuff Said.*

7 comments:

Connie W said...

That sounds like a great place!

I don't want a donut now...no way, no how.

Connie W said...

I'm lying. I totally want a donut right now.

Connie W said...

Thank you for not taking pictures of the donuts.

Sandra Foyt said...

Were they Cider Donuts? 'Cause there is nothing yummier than warm Cider Donuts and hot apple cider!

Tara said...

She is adorable...sounds like fun!

Casy Schweickart said...

That sounds wonderful and some great pics too!

Icy BC said...

She is a cutie, and I like her colorful skirt!