Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Pretty Dress for a Pretty Little Girl

Believe it or not, I can sew. Yep. I can. Really. Granted, I haven't really sewed much of anything in the past 10 - 12 years or so, but, still, I can sew. Why am I telling you this? Well, you see, Madaline loves wearing a pretty dress. However, the weather has put a HUGE ca-bosh to her wearing said pretty dresses, since all we have on hand right now that fits are sundresses. And, sundresses are not appropriate attire when the temperature is only in the high 40's in the morning. Granted, it gets to be 70 to 80 degrees during the day, but those temps are pretty much gone by the time I pick her up from daycare. As a result, no pretty dress = a pretty miserable Madaline.
So, in looking at the fall fashions filling the shelves at the local mall and a few other local stores, I was completely underwhelmed. Now, don't get me wrong, I love to see Madaline in a fancy dress with lace, buttons and frills - but, it seems that when it comes to cold weather frocks, function is thrown to the wayside. Madaline is an active little girl - and her dresses need to be simple and allow for ease of movement. I don't need 3 yards of lace trim at the bottom that every week week I'm going to have to re-tack after she catches her foot on it and rips it from the hem. Independence is key lately - she likes to dress herself and a full placket of buttons on the back of the dress makes this difficult. And, if I did find something that I liked there was no way I was going to pay upwards of $35-$40 dollars for a dress. Especially, when I can not even remember the last time I spent that amount of money on a piece of clothing for myself.This left me with continuing to force Madaline into pants/leggings and swing tops that mimick the movement and feel of dresses OR make her a dress. In reality, I could have chosen to do nothing, as it is my husband that deals with Madaline and her dress dilemma Monday thru Friday. But, being the good 'Mother' and wife that I am - I chose option #2. Make a dress. And, that is exactly what I did. After scouring the internet for ideas, emailing a sweet friend who happens to sew much more than myself, as well as bugging her via twitter late at night, I was good to go.
I think things turned out well..... don't you?

(please excuse the CRAPPY photos - The top two I took quickly this morning before heading out the door - and no amount of editing could make them decent. The bottom one, well, I blame my 'half awake hasn't had enough coffee yet' husband)

Looking for more? Please visit:

14 comments:

Molly Louise said...

Bringin' back them 4-H days, Heath. Well done. :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

That looks more complicated than I could manage but very, very cute.

Susie said...

So cute!!

thenameisbeth said...

Awesome job on the dress!

And kudos for being able to sew.

I can't sew on a button.

Or iron clothes.

Kameron said...

It turned out super cute! Good job! I've been throwing a long sleeve tee (or onesie in the case of the baby) on under her sun dresses these days or a cardigan over them. I love the dresses and don't want to give them up yet.

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

Awesome Job! I can do Halloween but nothing that can me worn for more then one night LOL

Feel Free to Come Link Up www.shibleysmiles.com

Colleen

Stacey said...

Cute dress and great job! I try not to sew. It's better for everyone that way! Thanks for stopping by!

Cori said...

Wow beautiful job on the dress! Your title is spot on a pretty little dress for a pretty little girl! Happy WW!

Krystyn said...

Super cute. I can't sew at all!

Alicia said...

I think it looks adorable, and so comfy too!!! You did a great job!

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates said...

Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Connie W said...

It's adorable!! I love it....great job friend!

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

So cute, great job. I am completely jealous I can't even sew on a button.

Dana said...

Great job on the dress!!!! She is getting so big and she is so cute!