Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Backyard View

Most days I feel like a teenager trying to be a parent. Except when I wash Madaline's hair in the shower. For some reason that simple task always makes me feel like a mom.

Speaking of hair washing in the shower. This used to be a dreadful task - crying and whining and scream. Not any more. At first I thought maybe it was a fluke. But, nope. We got the hair washing thing done to a science now. It makes for a much more pleasant shobath experience.

While I am eternally grateful for it to still be light outside after dinner I am not so grateful for the darkness I am now forced to get up in. Perhaps we could get a petition started or do a letter writing campaign? I think Jill, otherwise known as Scary Mommy has already gotten us started.

I want to apologize to my readers - posts have been few & far between. And, they have been more like side dishes as opposed to complete meals. Scratch that. My blog posts have been more like a tapas. A bite of this and a bite of that. I have also been slack in leaving comments on some of my favorite blogs. Even when I am short on time I always read The Young and the Relentless, My Messy Paradise, Hedman Qatar Adventures, Playgroups are No Place for Children. If you get a chance check out these ladies. I adore them. And, Oh! Two of my new favorite reads? A Wrinkle in Time and Enjoying the Small Things. So, really, if you have some time, stop by and see them. Also, Do you have someone you think is a great read? If so, included their link in my comments.

I have been busy in the kitchen this week. There is both a new quick and easy dinner recipe and a rice kirspie treat on steriods recipe over at the Townsend Bakery. Each takes no more than 30 minues to make. And, most of the time I have all the ingredients for each already in the house.

Have you enjoyed the photos I have used as thought dividers? This is what we have been doing each night after dinner. Taking in the view off the back deck. Madaline splashing in the water that has pooled in the back yard. To me it is one of the best view in the world. Its the view that I grew up with, the view that my sister grew up with. And the same view that my daughter gets to grow up with. This backyard - it calls to us - it gives us strength - its our center and it is what keeps us grounded. The ground right now is saturated with the memories of my childhood, my sister's childhood. And soon, just like it has for the last 35 years, it will sprout and grow another years worth of memories - those that now included the that of my daughter's childhood. (thought process inspired by this post)

Spring is just right around the corner. The thought of Spring and all it means and all it brings with it warms my heart and makes my soul smile.

Are you ready?

8 comments:

rachel... said...

Definitely ready for the warmer weather, sunshine, and outdoor play! Not so ready for the constant path of mud across all my floors!

Great post!

Scary Mommy said...

Yes! So, so, SO ready for spring!!

I love those pictures--- so cute, and I am so glad I didn't have to clean that up! :)

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said...

Thank you for saying you adore my blog, really. That made my day.

We had a dose of spring here today, it was glorious!

Favorite reads? Hmmm...I have A LOT of favorites. Not even sure how to narrow it down!

OHmommy said...

I hope this weather continues. I really do. We've been outside every single day.

Connie Weiss said...

Thank you honey!

I can't read any food blogs right now...I'll be visiting you yummy treats again in a month.

LZ said...

Thank you! The weather has made me so happy! Yay Spring!
Your loyal readers (like me!) love the big posts, little posts, pictures posts, recipes, everything!

Kameron said...

Thanks for the shout out! I have been having a hard time keeping up with blogging too, so don't feel bad! I do it when I can and try not to feel guilty when I can't. We're working moms and I think we're doing a great job, so don't sweat it!

Krajcimama said...

I love the opening paragraph of this post - I totally and completely relate to it!