Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - The Symbolism of Shoes


A few weeks ago, I posted about how we were saying Good Bye to Summer and Welcoming Fall.

We are slowly working our way down the Autumn to-do list - apple picking, breaking out the crock pot and longs pants & sweatshirts.

But, perhaps, the most important thing, and the hardest battle to date - getting Madaline to wear shoes. A few of you may remember this picture. Since she was an infant, Madaline would be and is is my little nudist. She would run around butt naked, 24/7/365 if we let her. And, if she can't be naked, then she at the very least has to be barefoot. *sigh* We are not home five minutes every evening and she is asking - "Mommy, take my socks off", "Mommy, naked baby, I wanna be naked baby", "Naked baby, naked baby, naked baby, NOW!".

So - over the weekend we had a farewell to Flip Flop party. We went out to lunch, stopped and let her pick out new shoes (see above). The husband and I hyped it up that fall was here, and that all the good little boys and girls had to start to wear shoes and socks now. We even went so far to say that Mommy and Daddy would be packing away their flip flops too. *gasp - as Mommy usually wears hers until the first good snow fall of the season* We came home, put all the flips flops in a box and said our tearful goodbyes. Ole' box of Flops now resides in the bottom of a closet.

It's only been three days - but, I think we are headed in the right direction - as last night I noticed Madaline had socks on too.

Looking for others???
Check out:

6 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

I just ordered snow boots last night for the kids. Not looking forward to that!

Connie Weiss said...

My kids prefer to be barefoot too and since we are home 24/7...they rarely wear shoes.

It's a huge struggle and I hate putting them on them!

LOVE her shoes....

Jen said...

my kids have no problem with this but my feet seem too.

2 Toddlers and Me said...

That's too cute! You should definitely put that in her baby book.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

Love it! I, too, look forward to shoes. I'm more than happy to put on some fuzzy socks and real shoes. No more pedicures, no more worrying about gross looking feet.

Rhonda said...

Good luck! That is too funny!