Monday, August 10, 2009

Clock-Less Time

Clock-less Time?

Yep.

Telling time, by the time of day - not by the clock. Tracking the space between the moment we are currently experiencing and the next significant time tracking moment of the day. Paying more attention to where the sun is in the sky than where the hands on the clock are. It's NOT 10am, noon, 6pm or 8pm. It is playtime, nap time, dinner time and bath time.

confused yet? I know you know what I am talking about.

I use a clock during the week more than I do on the weekends. Perhaps because my day is structured by the standards of Corporate America. Work day starts at 8am. Lunch is from Noon till 1pm. When the clock hits 3:30 - the daily momentum starts to shift. You feel the downward slide to 4:30. And, then the work day ends at 5:00. When I get home, we eat dinner at 6:15, we play outside till 8pm, are out of the bath by 8:30 and Madaline is in bed by 9pm. The schedule Monday through Firday is driven by the hands on the clock.

That changes each week, Friday night at Midnight. Time is dictated differently in our house on the weekends. It becomes told more by activities than by clock hands.

Weekends are Breakfast time, potty time, playtime, potty time, playtime, snack time, potty time, potty time, Lunch time, potty time, Nap time, quiet time for mommy, (Oh Hell No! Nap time is over?) playtime, potty time, snack time, potty time, playtime, dinner time, (Whew...we are approaching the home stretch) playtime, potty time, playtime, bath time? Whoops - nope - just potty time, play time, bath time, PJ time, snack time, potty time, story time, drink of water time, potty time, drink of water time, and, finally, bed time.

Looking back, I realize that this was only Saturday. We repeated all of the above paragraph again on Sunday.

I prefer clock time myself. How about you?

5 comments:

Connie Weiss said...

You forgot MILLER TIME! :)

McVal said...

I remember those days! It does get easier! Especially when they become potty trained and go on their own. Once that happens, they're suddenly self sufficient and you have TONS more time on your hands!

Dolli-Mama said...

honestly, I like toddler time better than work time. There's more playtime, park time, and laughter! You so nailed it, that is eactly what time looks like with a toddler.

Molly Louise said...

Don't forget mud time with the crazy aunt that lives, basically, in the middle of the road.

Lindy said...

These days (empty nest) I think I would prefer clock-less time. But I always find myself checking the time (even in the middle of the night)! Was there any "me-time" in there (for mom)?