Thursday, April 23, 2009

6/18/2008 I can now "label" Madaline a "Pedestrian"


Yep - she has joined the ranks of those of us who use our legs as a means of transportation. Madaline is finally walking - granted she is now a "Toddling Screaming Banshee" but at least she is able to be more mobile. She has not figured out how to stand up from a sitting or squating position yet, but, she will use anything to pull up on and take off or you can set her down on her feet, and she will swagger away.

Both her top front teeth have broken thru the surface finally!!! This make me a little more comfortable on the whole "I only want to eat things that I can feed myself" stage we have been in for at least a month now. I try very hard to very her diet - but it's hard to offer variety when I get home at 5:45 and she is ready to eat at 6pm - many a night dinner for her consists of pancakes & yogurt & fruit of some sort. And, we are phasing out her bottles and also making a graduated switch to 2% milk. She now drinks milk with her meals and is down to about 3 bottles a day. I know it's early for milk but I went ahead seeing how she seems to be handling dairy well. Her nuk is going to be the hardest battle of all - I am still trying to decide if I want to take it away cold turkey when she turns one or if I want to start some sort of "weaning" process with it - by only allowing it at naps & bedtime. I know that is most likely going to be the battle of the century.

I am in the process of researching sensory issues and have purchased both "The out of Synch Child" and "Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic". I just hope it gives me some insight as we move closer to her first birthday as to what to expect and how to deal. I am dealing with constant, what I would call "melt downs", over even the tiniest of "things" - shoes, diapers, cloths - and she has started to pull hair (her own and others) as well as started to pull at her diaper if it's even even the slightest bit wet. I handle things better some days than I do others. I am really out of my element on this one and keep asking the stars for it to only be a "phase" - KWIM?

No comments: