Thursday, April 23, 2009

3/19/2008 Mrs. Bryerton...there is NOTHING we can do for her



Dr: "I as sorry Mrs. Bryerton...there is NOTHING we can do for her"

Me: "Huh? It's already been a week - and she clearly is not getting any better - that is why I had waited a week, because I figured if I had called last week, you would have told me that I was going to have to wait a week"

Dr: "No - these things usually run their course in 12 - 14 days. If she still is NOT better in another week or if it develops into an ear infection or settles into her chest – then we can do something. Until then, there is nothing we can do for her."

Me: "Ok...I guess. Arms up Maddy - let get your cloths back on..."

How it all started:
Madaline has been sick forthe past week. The screaming started at about 2:45 this morning. Finally at 3:45 - I figured that she was not going to fall peacefully back to sleep, and dragged my groggy self out of bed, stepped on one of the cats, and rescuse her from the confines of her crib.

at about 4:30, a half a bottle later and some nice rocking in our rocking chair, she was out. We slept together on the couch till about 5:30, when she proceeded to awaken me by wailing in my ear. I decided to call the 24 hour triage nurse that is associated with our Pediatric practice - explain the snot faucet my daughter has instead of a nose, the on/off cough she has developed, the low grade temps she has had, and that she is cuddly. My kid HATES to cuddle. Phone nurse says that it would be best if she is seen, and to call the office at 8am when they opened, and making an appt. to have Madaline seen.

Finally at about 20 minutes after 8 someone picked up the phone at the doctors office, and the earliest we could be seen was 9:40. Ok...we toddle off to the doctors. Blood pressure was good, and Madaline was in true form while we were there and made sure that everyone in the office knew that she had been working on perfecting her banshee screaming skills. Common head cold was the diagnosis that we got.

They can do NOTHING for her. All we can do is to do what we have been doing. She is eating and drinking well, so we are ahead of the game there. I just don't know what to do for her. Do I continue to give her Tylenol? Or should I give her Motrin? On top of it all - I have what she has, and because of the lack of sleep, I am just plain exhausted and totally out of patience with her.

No comments: